Just 5 more minutes!
I’m a morning person, but lately, I’ve been having a daily battle against the alarm clock. The weather has changed and instead of a bright and sunny sky to look forward to; the weather is cooler and the skies are grey. I love Autumn, but it seems like no matter how much sleep I get the night before, peeling myself out of bed is just not easy.
I’ll wake up, rollover to turn the alarm off on my phone and since it’s already in hand, I’ll casually glance at text messages, emails, and the calendar to see what’s on the agenda for the day. I haven’t even stepped out of bed yet I’m already overwhelmed with the amount of things that I have to get done, so the day begins in mild state of anxiety. SNOOZE.
One of the most important lessons I’ve learned this year is to prioritize well & put first things first. Every morning is a fresh start, so how you begin your day can either make it or break it.
My perfect morning looks like this:
1. Wake up when its time to wake up.
– You snooze you lose.
2. Drink a bottle of water.
– It kick starts my metabolism and gets my body ready for breakfast.
3. Light a candle and spend time with God.
– The most important thing I’ll do all day is spend intimate time with the One who is my everything. Whether its reading, writing, singing, dancing or just being completely still, if I begin my day with God, I feel like everything else just falls into its rightful place.
4. Put on music & Make up the bed.
– Music is the best way to get me where I want to be without leaving where I am & making up my bed helps to start the day feeling organized and ready to tackle the tasks ahead.
5. Get Ready.
– When I take the time to make myself look and feel good, I find myself to be in a better mindset, feel more conifident and it makes it easier to stay focused on the tasks at hand.
6. Eat a Nutrient Dense Breakfast.
– If I have time to prepare a meal – I’ll make myself a full balanced breakfast including protein, carbs, fiber and healthy fats. If I’m pressed for time, I’ll make a smoothie with berries, spinach and some type of protein like chia which is a great high fiber/low carb option.
7. Make a Plan.
– Prioritize what needs to get done vs what I’d like to do and with those things in mind, I’ll set a positive intention for the day by taking a moment to make it clear to myself what I plan to do & how I plan to feel. One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.